Everything goes better with lube…
I have a friend who works for one of the big players in the oil additive industry - no, not Slick50, I mean the additives that proper grown-ups like Exxon, Shell, Mobil, Castrol, etc. put into their base oils to produce the performance required by vehicle manufacturers and industry in general (so presumably everyone from supertankers to jet fighters - they all need oil after all).
He has been good enough to answer a few technical questions over the years, so I thought I'd reproduce them here in the hope it will counteract some of the vast quantities of bullshit out there on the internet.
Most of the pages linked here are cut & paste of e-mail exchanges with him, in a purely unofficial capacity. YMMV.
Tech & Rants
- Grades, Specs, ACEA Numbers crash course
- Engine and gear oil additives just say no
- Can I use tractor oil? a random question from the forums
- Operating Temperatures and do you really need an oil cooler?
- EP90 GL5 Vs Bronze Bushings gear oil tech for those of you with Series Land Rovers and/or Overdrives / Roverdrives / Roamerdrives
Oils & Filters
- Oil filters what fits what.